Have you experienced the Super Tote by Noodlehead yet? I am in love with this pattern! It's huge and functional! I made mine over the Christmas break and so mad that I didn't try it out sooner. Guess I was still in love with my Market Tote.
I decided to use a fabric I thought my girls would get a kick out of but still fun and grown-up for me. It's Elephant Circus by Kokka in the pink colorway. I originally bought it to use in a baby quilt for a friend but decided on a different elephant fabric (more of that next week). The alphabet print came from my Japanese bundle that I received a few months ago from Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts. Oh, and of course my staple linen, black essex!
I think the hardest part was figuring out what interfacing I wanted to use where. Seriously! Even though I have a bit of experience with interfacing, I still always struggle with when and where for each bag I make. I am happy with what I decided and will share with you below.
I used Annie's Soft and Sable for the front and back panels and fusible fleece for the side panels. I wanted the bag to somewhat stand up on its own but not so stiff it looked like a box. I figured the fusible fleece would let the bag collapse just enough and the Soft and Sable panels would allow it to still look like a bag and not pile of Japanese fabrics on the floor. That was truly my whole thought process while deciding on the interfacing..lol. I also used SF101 like the pattern suggest for all the inside linings.
I went with a magnetic closure because I actually never zip up my purse. I am in and out of it so much, that it would likely just get in the way. I figured the magnetic claps has the chance to get closed even if it's inadvertently...haha. Oh, and did you notice my handy dandy sling? A purse to most moms is useless when they have to hold hands with one child and hold the other child UNLESS it has a sling strap. It's a must have for any bag I use.
It was fairly simple to add during the construction. I just took two, three inch strips of pink webbing and added the hardware. Folded in half and basted it in place before I attached the lining. I had a spare strap from an old bag that I used instead of making one; although, making one would have been pretty easy. I know my JoAnns has lots of different types of webbing including the pink one that I attached to the bag. I just wish they sold more hardware!
One thing I took extra care in was ensuring the two pleats on the side stayed together. I lowered my stitch length to 1.0 about one inch before the end and tightened the tension a bit as well. I went over it about five times like that. I think it should hold...haha! I also used an 18 jean needle and black jean thread for the top stitching around the top to make sure I got through all those layers, especially the webbing, without skipping or breaking the thread.
I for sure plan on making this bag for sure and very happy with the interfacing I used. Next time, I might make the panels quilted to add more texture.
Hope you are having a great start to the week! Planning on liking up with all my favorite link parties to the right, TGIFF, and Crazy Mom Quilts! Oh, and I might have something exciting happening here on Friday!!!