Yay, it's my turn to share my Bright Sky quilt with you guys! Let me just say this quilt goes together fast!! I probably spent more time picking out the fabrics and choosing placement then the actual piecing. Ha!
This week of the QAL, Alyce of Blossom Heart Quilts (BHQ), is talking about tips on making the outer star. I will have to agree that anytime you sew on the bias you deal with a lot of stretch. I decided to do Option B cutting with having the bias on the seams. It worked out just fine and basting went very smoothly. I would recommend trimming up your blocks before piecing the quilt. I had a one or two points get a little lost. Pinning and starch also helps with any excessive stretch.
So, last week, Alyce challenged everyone to add something extra for the center square. Luckily, I was one step ahead and was thinking the same thing! I almost went with a paper pieced star but really loved the deers in the fabric and took inspiration from Emily's awesome pattern, Big Game, so I decided to add a raw appliqued deer head. It's pretty subtle, I hope. ;) I just found an image on the internet that I liked and enlarged it. I did adjust the antlers a bit as well to my taste and raw edge appliqued it on with pink thread. I did 4 overlapping stitches so I know that bad boy won't come off! I washed it right after the photoshoot and it fluffed and frayed up nicely.
- Monday 29th September – Choosing Fabrics Tips at BHQ
- Wednesday 8th October – Molli Sparkles
- Wednesday 15th October – My Fabric Relish
- Wednesday 22nd October – Ms Midge
- Monday 27th October – Pretty Bobbins free motion quilting guest post here at BHQ
- Wednesday 29th October – A Stitch In Between (Bright Sky mini)
- Monday 3rd November – Elven Garden Quilts free motion quilting guest post here at BHQ
- Monday 10th November – Final link-up opens at BHQ for a week
Oh, and of course there's lots of prizes! Be sure to see all the goodies you have the chance to win at Blossom Heart Quilts! And, if you are on Instagram (I'm myfabricrelish) be sure to tag your progress with #brightskyquilt!
Thanks again for the visit! If you are new here, I would love to have you back! Have a great week!!