Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Ok, so there isn't a square in this quilt what so ever...but that makes it ironic, right?
I made this little quilt using a fat eighth bundle of Lush Uptown by Erin Michael for Moda. I was on the fence with this collection and loved it in theory, but it actually didn't grow on me until it was washed and photographed.
And oh-mylanta, it's a cold, windy day in Dallas! Although, the overcast did make it easy with lighting during the photo shoot! I really had hoped to use this photo shoot to work on my Plum and June Photography Challenge this month, but it was just too windy and cold to concentrate. I made sure to hang it over the muddy area and not the creek just in case.
I don't generally gravitate towards burnt orange and this collection is loaded with it! Might be because I am an Aggie and we bleed maroon and despise burnt orange. But it has grown on me, kinda like my longhorn hubby did. haha
I decided to try out one of my new rulers, Tri Recs by EZ Quilting, and went with a triangle pattern. I got mine at JoAnns for pretty cheap (less than $10) using a coupon. It was easy enough to cut and piece, but for some reason I was terrible at keeping my points.
TIPS: Make sure you rows have an odd amount of triangles with a boot at each end in order to create the diamond effect. Also, you need twice as many triangles in each row than columns to make a square quilt. This is where I failed. I like that it's long, though, because it makes it perfect to cover your tootsies while sitting on the chair. This quilt has a bit of a rustic feel to it and really love the way it looks on our leather couch by the fire place. Mr. Relish approves of it and says it's not too girly. Whew, I was really worried about that part <--that's sarcasm there. hehe
I decided on an organic/wood FMQ quilting approach for the quilting to mirror the back and used Aurfil 50 wt in white. The binding is from the leftover strips after cutting the triangles. So basically I cut one 6 x 22 inch strip from the 9 x 22 inch fat eight piece and was left with a 3 x 22 inch strip. I then trimmed that down to 2 1/2 x 22 inches to make the binding.
Thanks for visiting me and my ironic quilt and hope you give this one a try! Linking up with all my friends on the right and Crazy Mom Quilts!